Tuesday, April 13, 2010

An Important Playwright: Tyler Perry

An Important playwright that is very influential to theater is Tyler Perry. Every person has a story to explain their journey to success. Tyler Perry was oncejobless, penniless and homeless. Now he has made well over $50 million in writing and producing plays for the urban theater community. He was unhappy growing up in a poverished enviornment. The only way he knew how to share his story was to write down everything that was happening in his journal. While writing in his journal he decided to change the names of the characters for descretion purposes. That is how his first play I Know I've Been Changed was developed.





What I find most appealing about Tyler Perry is his struggle to reach success and thru all the obstacles he faced, he continued to have faith to accomplish his goals. In the beginning Perry had to get a great amount of odd jobs to help finance his first couple ofplays because he wasn't getting the kind of results that he expected. His artistic work can be best described as morality plays. They are filled with morality lessons such as, infidelity, alclohol and drug abuse, and domestic violence. What i find interesting about his plays is that he tries to contribute his childhood and the urban enviornment he was once surrounded by to tell a story. I think his plays is so intense because he can relate to the urban aspect of them. Not only does he write his material but he actually plays certain characters. Perry often wears drag and plays his best known character Madea. He also plays other characters such as people who are reminiscent of his father.





I find his work inspiring because I can relate to some of the lessons taught with my personal life. I've had my share of family issues and getting my heart broken in past relationships. I grew up with a childhood somewhat similar to Tyler Perry. I was raised in an urban enviornment by a single mother who worked hard to provide for her family. growing up in that kind of enviornment gives me a better understand and much respect when watching his work. Tyler Perry has become the most bankable African American.He repeatedly references his admiration and respect to African American women as a foundation of his work. He creates modern day fairy tales for women. Majority of his plays a woman experiences abandonment or some form of domestic violence from a bad man. She then experiences a significant moment of change and the outcome is usually happy because she usually settles down with a good man who contributes to her better life. I respect Perry alot because I myself am an African American woman and when I watch his plays I feel like they are speaking to me.

His journey to success has showed me that anything is possible when you aquire diligence and determination. I admire how he never gave up on his dream to be an outstanding playwright and because he never gave in, he is now an important theater artist. I look forward to more plays in the future. I will always be a dedicated fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment